Back when the idea of women going to college was frowned upon, Sophia Smith, an heiress, left her fortune to establish Smith College, which was founded in 1871 and opened in 1875. The idea of women playing sport was also a strange one – the first women’s college basketball game, between Smith’s freshman and sophomore teams, was played there in 1893.
Squash began at Smith College in 1929 on one court. Three more courts were added in 1934 in what is now called Alumni Gym – now the site of the Smith College Archives. The Smith College Team now plays of 5 state of the art ASB courts donated by Albert Gordon in Ainsworth Gym (Dorothy Ainsworth was a famous American Physical Educator who taught at Smith College.
Leading the way in women’s squash in the U.S., Smith College was sending students to the Women’s Intercollegiate Championships by 1965 – with Jane Slocum ’69 wining the event in the 1968-69 season. Official team competition began in the winter of 1972 – more than 37 years ago!
Smith College Squash continues the tradition of involving young women in a great sport at one of the world’s best academic institutions.